CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Recent Post

6 Agustus 2008

Scolari: I'm More Modest Than Jose

The press have been likening Scolari to Mourinho ever since the Brazilian left his post with Portugal to take the reins at Stamford Bridge earlier this summer.
For despite his limited English, the ex-Selecao coach has already displayed in abundance the calibre of wit, authority and presence that characterised the current Internazionale boss' time in west London.
However, Mourinho also drew accusations of smugness, pettiness and general poor sportsmanship while at Chelsea, and the Italian media have begun levelling similar criticisms at the Portuguese as he prepares for his first season at San Siro.
Scolari has already attempted to discourage comparisons with the former Porto boss and is determined to conduct himself in a manner that makes clear just how different he and Mourinho really are.
"I am not Jose Mourinho, so why compare me with him?" Scolari was quoted as saying in The Sun.
"Mourinho says ‘I will win 10 championships’. But I am more modest than that. I am from south Brazil and in my culture I never say ‘I will win this, this or that’. I just say that I will try my best to win all the competitions.
"Maybe Mourinho says ‘I will win this’ and if he does not achieve that promise then it causes problems because it’s not the manager who is on the pitch. It’s the players. So if the team makes a mistake, then you have to say ‘It is the players who are bad’.
"I will never do that. Never. As the coach, you are the man who has to take the responsibility. But Mourinho is Mourinho. He has a different culture to me."
Mike Maguire

0 comments: